Friday, June 3, 2011

BHE

As I had stated before I have a new job at the Hospital for the summer.

I was really nervous as I was applying for these new jobs as a "Nurse Extern" because I was in the wake of finishing up school for the semester and the positions are really competitive. I was trying to come up with a back up plan for work in the summer. I couldn't think of anything super awesome or creative

Plan B: Work at Bath and Body Works, Work for the Babysitting Company (both of which I already do) and then.... volunteer at the hospital or try to get a certified nursing assistant job, OR if both of those failed, I would get a job at Kroger. Super awesome plan.

I'm glad that I didn't have to instigate plan B.

I got one rejection. I got a call from one of the hospitals accepting me right away.... Meaning they didn't interview any of their applicants. I was very happy to get some kind of nurse extern job, but I was wanting one hospital in particular (BHE- Baptist Hospital East). I had an initial interview there, and thought I had bombed it....

When you call someones baby the wrong gender... some people get offended...

I thought it was then end for that place. So when I got a call from the other hospital I accepted. But then I got a call for another interview on the orthopaedic floor at BHE. I went, interviewed and then got the acceptance call! HOORAY!

I accepted the job at BHE, and then had to call the other hospital and... cancel. woops. (I was super nervous, but they really didn't care... hmmm)

I finished orientation at BHE and have worked on the ortho floor for 2 weeks. I have been working 3, 12hr shifts each week. It is amazing how quickly the day goes and how tired I am when I get home. PLUS I'm still working my other two jobs (not very often though)

I'm excited, but I'm still lost as to what I have to do. I still don't quiet understand my role in the day, but I'm getting better. My guess I will get it when the 10 weeks is over. But then I will be ahead for my preceptor-ship next semester which is great. ANYTHING to get ahead.

Hopefully one day I can work in this hospital. I like the fact that people are nice, the hospital is nice and it is a magnet status hospital. Meaning they listen to ME!
We will see. I need to get through this next semester and pass the N-CLEX before I worry about working.

4 comments:

Amy said...

congrats! it sounds like you will be busy-how do yo pull three jobs off? You are Super Lady!

Jared said...

I am very glad you got the job but between my call schedule and your work schedule we have seen each other for a total of 2 hours this week. Blah. I love you and miss you!

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Congratulations Jenny!!! I'm so happy you got the job that you wanted!!! Good luck with it! Good luck pulling off the 3 jobs, I've done that before, and it ain't fun at all!!! I hope you don't die of exhaustion in the next 10 weeks!!!

Aston Family said...

Sooo proud of you Jenny!! You are going to do great!! NO biggee about the gender misunderstanding...happens to the best of us! All the more reason people should dress their children in gender specific colors...blue or pink instead of making you have to guess!! LOL! Hahaha as always you make me laugh! Good luck!! Miss you!