Friday, January 21, 2011

Obstruction

SO... the week started out with a bang. And by that I mean the dog threw up ALL over the bedroom. More specifically the master bedroom. MY bedroom. GROSS.

So I cleaned it up, cleaned the floor and washed the clothes he barfed on. At least this time he got off the bed before throwing up :) (positive thoughts)

Then later that afternoon (after I fed Charlie) I went to shower. (Yes I was being lazy, but it was MLK day and there was no school, so I stayed in my PJ's until 10 or so and then went on a run... nevermind)

So while showering I see the dog outside the shower. Usually he waits for me to get out of the shower so he can lick the walls of the shower. (I know... weirdo) But I don't mind. So I get out to see the dog and he looks GUILTY. Like trying to hide from me, but yet confess something.... I didn't figure it out until I turned around. Barf; on the floor.
I'm thinking, "Thats totally fine... just some stomach juices and on tile. Piece of cake."
Then I got into the bedroom. EWWW

HUGE pile of vomit! On Jared's side of the bed, and on his soccer shoes, dress shoes, and slippers. ew.

So I clean.

Charlie is getting no more food for the day. But Jared and I were worried that he might have eaten something bad so we got him some antibiotics and gatorade (dogs need electrolytes too)

Bad idea with the BLUE gatorade. Since dog only aims for the carpet.

Tuesday morning he wouldn't even eat or give food a second glance. This scared me to tears because this dog will eat all day long sick or not he always wants more food.
I finally coaxed him to eat a small handful of dog food which he immediately threw up.

We got a vet visit that afternoon. They did some tests and took and x-ray and wouldn't you know it. Charlie had a small bowel obstruction. He was completely blocked up.

Poor thing!

So we given two options of attack:

1.) Give him a lubricant used for cats and hairballs and hope it gets things moving
and if that doesn't work...
2.) A costly surgery to open his gut up and pull out the poo

So the lubricant it was. He loved it. (but at this point he hadn't keep food down since sunday)
Wednesday came. He was supposed to poop that morning. NO GO.

But then I got this text from Jared while I was at school... (Please look away poop ain't your thing)

"HE POOPED"

WOO HOO!!!

Finally he started eating, poopin' and acting like he normally does. We were ecstatic!

The culprit of the obstruction... well a tasty mixture of bone and a toy ball. YUM. (sarcasm... I just wanted to clarify. that would be gross if I really thought that was 'yummy')

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Yeah! I'm glad that Charlie's all good! Love the guilty powdered donuts look too!

Josh and Claudia Tieman said...

Haha! You are silly! I am so glad Charlie can poop! For him and for your carpet! Poor guy probably feels so much better!

Anthony and Erin Mills said...

EW!

Aston Family said...

Hahaha! So glad he pooped! I love dogs!!!