This would be my first REAL tutorial.
I am very proud (by the way) that I did it!
First things first I got my fabric. I actually used a heavier fabric for the outside of the bag and a lightweight cotton for the inside.
I cut everything out. The length was 20"x 14" x 6".
(after I made a plan of action)
Then I cut out some light interfacing to steam on the outside fabric. (yes I was doing homework while ironing)
Start sowing the edges together. Make sure they are the right direction with all the hems out (it will look something like this before you sow all the edges together). Sow so it looks like a 'box'
Then you hem the edges of the 'box' (only on the portions on the opening of the box)
THEN..
Do the same for the light fabric to line the bag
Cut (make sure it is the same size as the outer fabric.)
I didn't put interfacing on the inside fabric because I didn't want it stiff, but you can if you want.
Then the lightweight or inner fabric was sown the same way as the outside (so you end up with a box.)
For the pocket I cut a size I wanted, ironed the edges (so it would be easier to sow) steamed the interfacing on.
I then cut a another piece of fabric of the same size and ironed the edges, sowed the two pocket pieces together, measured and sowed the pocket onto the lightweight (inner) fabric. REMEMBER to only sow three sides so you have a pocket.
Then come the handles.
For the handles I cut two pieces 24" x 5".
Start by fold them over and sew around three sides, leaving one side unfinished to turn inside out.
I folded the handles once more (hotdog style) and pinned with 4 inches on each end.
Another view.
I then measured and pined them in place on the inside of the bag. Make sure both handles are the same height otherwise the bag will hang uneven.
At this point all you need to do to finish is sowing the lining in. I pinned the lining to the outside of the bag and started sowing.
YOU ARE DONE!
LOVE IT!
The perfect bag for all those large (possibly beachy) items!
2 comments:
You are amazing! I wish you lived here so that you could physically teach me to sew. I don't have a clue of how to. Sad, I know. Your bag is GORGEOUS, I am jealous to say the least.
Seriously, I agree with Brittany. We could pay to you have a monthly "sewing with Jenny" class. It's beautiful!
Post a Comment