Hurricane Ike (or as Jared and I call it Ikus) left its path of destruction in Louisville. Sunday was a peaceful morning (like 6:00am) but quickly changed into a whirlwind of a storm. Power went out on Sunday at about 1:30pm just to be followed by gusting winds that were recorded up to 75mph. It was CRAZY windy and I can admit to being slightly scared by the noises the wind made against out home. But we were safe.
It finally calmed down at about 7pm that night. Jared and I went outside to check on our house because earlier that day we watched our neighbors house behind us have 2 panels ripped off of it.
Luckily our house was spared from any damage other than a plastic shutter halfway coming off and a little gutter thing coming off. No big deal compared to some events that happened… like our neighbor to the front of us. A bunch of side paneling came off of their house and no one was even home. So Sad.
A walk the next day (still without power) and we saw just the damage around our block… roofs and shingles GONE, side panels gone, trees toppled over, ect ect. Lots of wind damage. That day we also tried to drive to a couple stores to find that we cannot get out of our neighborhood without going the back way… 2 miles around. WHY? Because of a HUGE tree toppled over the power lines and onto the road. There were snapped power lines everywhere. We are guessing that it is the source of No power. I wish I had a picture... but there were so many snapped live wires... I decided against it.
Tuesday and we are still without power and so we went to Barnes and Noble to spend half the day and charge our computers and well just to waste time. While there Jared looked up on the internet an article that said… 75% of Louisville’s power is out, and it will take an estimated 2 weeks to get it all restored. YIKES! To add insult to injury… Jared decided to call the electric company and make sure the knew that our power line was down and found that NOT ONE PERSON had reported it. Everyone had assumed someone else had. OH ME, OH MY. Last of the list… I think so. (I’m so glad we just bought that grill!)
We are doing fine so far. The nights are cool and we have our little cooler for our meats. We also have many wonderful people in the ward that are offering their homes to us for whatever we may need.
At the moment I am just happy nothing too horrible has happened to our home. Just no power. I can live with that!
UPDATE!!!!
As of 6:10 AM Friday Morning September 19th 2008 We have POWER! Yesterday we took a walk down the street to see if the company was working on the lines and it turns out... THEY WERE THERE... many trucks!
Earlier Thursday we drove up to the disaster site and an electric man was standing there making sure no one tried to touch the wires... um DUH. But he said it would take 5 teams atleast 24 hours to clean it all up. YIKES... I guess though last night there was 10 teams! lol. Thank you LG&E.
twin xl duvet covers
4 years ago

3 comments:
Yeah for power!!!! I hope you two had a great adventure with that one! Don't let Jared drive you too crazy staying home all the time (at least you still have school to go to lol)! We love you guys.
I am so glad you guys finally have power again. What a blessing that you are ok. What an expierence as well. Love ya!
We are glad you all survived the power outage:)
Post a Comment