Jared had worked for over a month straight. As in NO days off. No weekends off. No Mondays off. No Fridays off. None. And with my new full time job our schedules conflicted.... oh.... about 85% of the time.
Our schedules are horrible.
There is a higher rate of divorce for nurses, and a high rate of divorce for drs. Together..... I'm sure they are very high.
When I'm working we get a whole 30 to 45 mins together before bed.
If Jared is working late... I'm off. If I'm working Jared has a day off. Blah blah blah.....
ENOUGH of the complaining.
Jared and I decided to go to Indianapolis for a weekend away... well it turned into a '24 hours' away. (Actually more like 23 hours with the silly "spring forward" Mumbo Jumbo)
We didn't leave til Saturday because of the Scout cake fundraiser. BUT Jared had all of Friday off. It was just as fun (I think) as being on the mini vacation.
We made an awesome cake....
Behold its awesomeness!
The Burger Cake
The toppings were made from marshmallow fondant while the rest of it was cake. It probably tasted discussing, but it looked GREAT! (and got a whopping $70)
The next morning we started our drive to Indianapolis. We passed through Henryville. One town hit by an F4 tornado the last week.
It was frightening. Huge trees stripped of their branches. A gas station sign, with no station to be seen. Piles of debris all around. Rubble that used to be homes. It was, again, very humbling.
First we hit up the zoo.
I hate the zoo.
But Jared loves the zoo. So, to the zoo we went. It was the best zoo ever that I've been to... why? Because it was the SMALLEST zoo I've ever seen! It took us 2 hours to go to the dolphin show AND tour the whole zoo... and some twice while taking our dear sweet time.
Some highlights....
The eagle exhibit... or what used to be the bald eagle exhibit. There was no eagle in sight. However there was a sign. (wish I got a picture)
It said: "Due to squirrels chewing a whole in our netting the birds in this exhibit have flown away. Hopefully they will return soon."
Then...
As we walked by the lions. There was no one around us, just us. One lioness saw us, got up off her perch and walked over to us and stared at us. I was freaked out. Of course this happens after Jared tells me a horrible story about how once a lion got out of its zoo cage and killed 8 people. ... So the lion is there pacing and stareing at us.... when all three start roaring... I'm thinking we must smell great.... how tall is that fence.... how fast do these things run.... where would the best place to hide be?
As they roared people gathered and we left. Just to turn the corner and see baboons gathering poop... so we started to run. (Because... just in case you didn't know they throw poop when they are scared or angry)
We (as humans) prefer to run. We ran from the poop and also from a couple of baboons getting frisky.
Overall, Weirdest zoo experience EVER. And the shortest. And the best.
After the zoo we hit up a triathlon store, T3. Looked at things we can't afford, and envied pretty much everything.
We then went to our hotel which happened to be next to a fancy outdoor mall. We went to Nordstrom to look around (and be followed). While there we passed by a couple with a stroller. I (like any curious person) looked in the stroller as we walked by to see the cute 'baby'.... I didn't believe what I saw......
I made Jared go back and look at what he missed.
As he casually walked by again, the small MONKEY poked its head out of a cage (covered by a blanket) and chirped at him.
Yes. A monkey.
In a stroller.
At Nordstroms.
WEIRD.
Then a trip through Saks Fifth Avenue. Where I saw some coveted Jimmy Choo purses... NEVER had I actually seen some in REAL life. As Jared reached for a small clutch I BEGGED him not to say anything and not to embarrass me. Please Please!
-If you didn't know Jared has a love of embarrassing me in department stores with fancy purses. He has been known to grab a purse (A Coach purse on the occasion I'm thinking about), look at the price and YELL "Oh my gosh three hundred dollars! for this ugly thing?!?" As I pray for the ground to open and envelope my red faced and extremely embarrassed person so everyone staring will not know we are associated with each other.
This time he did me proud. He looked at the tag. His mouth didn't even open. (I'm sure his butt did pucker though...) and he carefully placed the clutch back were he found it, and we moved along.
So Proud. I will associate with this person.
The price of clutch.... $1150.00
Its name is Cayla. (just in case you wanted to know)
(I did agree later that the price was too much... for a clutch... even if it was a Jimmy Choo)
We then enjoyed a lovely dinner at Barcelona Tapas in downtown Indy and retired to a hotel for the night. Just to cut our vacation shorter in the morning because....
1. Day light savings (Stupid by the way)
2. I was asked to give the opening prayer in church
3. Then I was asked to meet with the bishopric an hour before church for a new calling.....
And I leave you with that.... what could it be...????
I was 95% sure it was something and was totally side swiped by what it really was. Interesting; definitely.
A great trip to Indy! Hope we can do something like this again. It's good for us to spend SOME time together... since we are married and everything.




4 comments:
I love this post so much!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that you got some time together, I am super impressed your cake made 70.00, I know what you mean about small zoos (this is the reason we love the Tucson zoo and go every time we are in town), can't stop laughing about the baboons gathering poop and the monkey in the stroller at Nordstrom, and now I am dyyyyyyyying to know what your calling is. Texting you now to find out :) PS don't forget that I am home 99% of the time if you are home alone and bored- CALL MEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
So glad you guys got to have some time together! Love the cake, you did an awesome job!!! The Zoo experience sounds awesome too!!!!! And the monkey in the stroller, what the HECK???? That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard!!!
FUN!!! I am glad you had a little time to steal away and spend time together! Love the cake! I am very impressed! SO I am hoping for a fellowship for Jared in Phoenix, because we are staying here! Josh is doing Gen. Surg. at Banner Good Sam. :)
Hahah so many funny things in this post. I cant believe you saw a Monkey in a stroller. Really. Also i hate zoos. And my husbands family goes to zoos wherever they travel. Im not an animal person-so naturally I am horrified by a monkey in Nordstrom. So impressed by how hard you two work! Glad you got a vacation, and lastly, awesome cake!!
Post a Comment